Here are some random things I’ve wanted to tell you all about…
* There are two stoplights in town, both are three way lights. The main one I go through pretty much every day isn’t working quite right. For the one direction, the red lights do not function. So no lights mean stop. Except if there’s a power outage, then it means stop and go as soon as you can. (We don’t take turns here…)
* Over Christmas someone thought it would be cool to set up plastic palm trees on the main road. In the land of real palm trees and blistering sun, someone thought that would be a good idea? They are already fading in colour…
* I go to the market once every couple weeks. Hiring a grobak (wheelbarrow) guy sure makes my trip and more pleasant experience. The guys will cart all my purchases around and guard them while I’m shopping. Some of them even help me pick out good vegetables! I buy my chicken at the market but the chicken livers that I cook up for our dog are cheaper at the local “supermarket” so I buy them there.
* It’s basketball season. Mikah plays on the high school team. It’s her second year playing and she’s improved so much and is learning to use her height to her advantage. (see the photo of her getting a rebound) Christiaan and Aidan play on the middle school team. It is so fun to watch them play! Last week they played a team which had boys on it that were clearly much older. It made me very angry to see what I felt was a team cheating. But I was very proud of the boys for how they handled the situation and kept their cool in spite of the aggressive fouling and show-boating by these older boys. In the end, it was a good learning experience.
* A couple months ago already, Hugo gave a tour to a grade 3 class from a local school.
* Two weeks ago I taught English for the last time to grades 1 and 2. We celebrated by watching Tom and Jerry and eating gummy lizards.